Tim is currently Managing Member and Consultant for Thoma Consulting. He provides construction and preconstruction consulting services to include estimating, scheduling, supply chain management, engineering support, project controls and construction execution for environmental remediation and infrastructure proposals and projects.
Tim Thoma – Managing Member and Consultant
Tim has over 35+ years of experience in the remediation and construction industry. He began his career by serving in the United States Navy as Nuclear Machinist Mate before moving into the private sector. He worked his way up through the field ranks where he learned the skills of many craft trades, and ultimately focused his talents on fixing troubled or difficult projects. At the age of 41, Tim attended the University of Cincinnati and graduated Summa Cum Laude with BS Construction Management and AS Applied Science. During his college career, he continued to work part-time as Project Manager and later as Managing Member of his company. Two years before graduation, Tim accepted an opportunity as Manager of Project Services where he led the estimating, scheduling, supply chain, and project controls departments for a large environmental remediation firm. Upon acquisition of that firm by a larger firm, Tim was named VP of Preconstruction Services where he continued to lead those departments. He most recently served as VP of Construction Services where he was responsible for preconstruction and construction services across many sectors and clients.
Proposals / Technical Writing
Supply Chain Management
Project & Work History
Pioneer Environmental & Engineering, LLC
(10/2018 – 02/2020)
- Managed and performed all construction and preconstruction services to include estimating, scheduling, supply chain management, engineering support, project controls and construction execution staff for all environmental remediation and infrastructure proposals and projects.
- Built preconstruction tools and processes for construction service offerings to include estimating, scheduling, procurement, and project controls.
- Supported business development to include business flyer, website, and client meetings.
- Wrote Sediment Basin #1 work plan and coordinated the work with Indiana Department of Environmental Management. Generated construction completion report and submitted to IDEM once remediation of sediment basin was completed.
- Provided preconstruction schedule and estimate for Clark-Floyd Landfill west phase scope of work.
- Provided preconstruction schedule and estimate for Loveland Landfill cap and closeout.
Wood PLC (Formally AMEC Foster Wheeler)
(10/2017 – 10/2018)
VP, Preconstruction Services
- Manage estimating, scheduling, supply chain management, proposal engineering support, and project controls staff for all environmental remediation and infrastructure proposals and projects in the Americas. Also manage P&L for Preconstruction team and oversee project status reviews with Operations.
- Key project awards during this time included the following:
- CNL Chalk River Near Surface Disposal Facility
- CEVA Vetch Coccidiosis Vaccines
- Krog Renova OU3 & OU4
AMEC Foster Wheeler (Formally MACTEC)
(01/2012 – 10/2017)
Manager, Project Services
- Manage estimating, scheduling, procurement, subcontract administration, and project controls staff for all environmental remediation and infrastructure proposals and projects in the Americas. I also provide monthly financial documentation and evaluations for our business unit.
- Some of the key project awards during this time included the following:
- AFCEE Williams AFB PBR
- AFCEE Andrews AFB PBR
- Lockheed Martin Seattle Sediment
- Bunker Hill GWTP
- USACE RDI Spirit Lake
- BP Monument NM
- Dugway Proving Ground
- HPNS PTO X023 Parcel E – E2 Sewer Remediation
- BP Zambia Acid Tars
- Miramar Range Cleanup
(01/2011 – 12/2011)
Principal CM / Estimator
- Provided construction management and estimating services for future projects within the MATOC and SATOC programs. I received RFQ’s and provided technical writing to define scopes of work and work plan. I generated estimate, schedule, define resources, and work with staff and upper management to define profit margin and capture method. I also provided value engineering and peer review of estimates, schedules, risk mitigation plans, work plans, and other supporting documentation to win and complete projects successfully.
The Shaw Group
(07/2010 – 01/2011)
Barrier Berm Project – Venice, LA
- Provided project management for the construction of twelve miles of barrier berm to protect the South Louisiana coast from the BP Gulf oil spill. Shaw provided project management, health and safety oversight, quality oversight, and construction management oversight. The project involved many different types of subcontractors and required the marine handling of 19 million cubic yards of sand dredged from the Mississippi River.
(08/2008 – 08/2009)
- Provided estimating and scheduling services for wide range of construction projects associated with heavy construction of fossil fuel power plants and air pollution control systems.
Thoma Consulting, LLC
(09/2007 – 07/2010)
- Provided construction management services to include estimating, scheduling, owner’s representative construction oversight, subcontractor bidding and selection, subcontractor oversight, and many other construction/proposal/management functions.
The Shaw Group
(05/2004 – 09/2007)
American Landfill – Waynesburg, OH
- Handle all aspects of construction planning, management, problem resolution, bidding, scheduling, contract negotiation and management, and quality assurance. Utilized Microsoft Project for all project scheduling.
Construction / Project Manager – Republic Services, Inc; Evendale Solid Waste Transfer Station
- Collaborate with EMCON/OWT staff to manage construction of solid waste transfer station.
- Completed 2 projects on budget, on schedule, and without safety incident in fast track mode to accommodate client’s schedule. I utilized Microsoft Project to schedule all project phases.
Technical Adviser – CDG Technology, Inc; Ben Franklin System Design and Construction
- Partner with Shaw Technical Services Group to design and construct new technology chlorine dioxide and chlorine gas generation system for wastewater and water treatment markets.
- Assisted with development and design of patented technology to generate chlorine dioxide gas.
- Negotiated Master Service Agreement with CDG Technology to provide construction services of system.
- Performed failure analysis of system and utilized failure analysis to determine warranty cost schedule.
- Developed construction cost estimate for standard system and options for system.
- Drafted warranty language for system to be utilized on future contracts.
Construction Manager – Kinder Morgan, Inc; Remediation Project; Bushton, Kansas
- Assisted with drafting of cost estimate and project plan to remediate contaminated soils at KMI active facility.
National Technical Adviser – Walmart; Commercial Construction Support
- Selected as Commercial Construction National Technical Lead for corrective action to repair miscellaneous issues related to Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club stores nationwide.
(03/1999 – 05/2004)
Site Manager, Commercial Construction
- Led and contributed to several high profile construction, operations, and demobilization management projects, overseeing construction aspects of each project and personnel.
Construction / Operations Manager – Trenton Mail Processing and Distribution Center; United States Postal Service; Trenton, NJ
- Directed construction, operation, and demobilization chlorine dioxide generation and scrubbing system.
- Constructed systems to treat facility for anthrax exposure in 5.6 million cubic foot-facility.
- Supervised 7 construction superintendents and managed daily activities of 150 craft trades personnel.
- Systems included 100,000 lb. chlorine dioxide generation system and two 20,000 acfm chemical scrubbing systems.
- Managed construction/project schedule, client reporting, cost analysis and tracking, government agency relations, construction design reviews, work plans, subcontracts, and project documents. Utilized Excel to handle all the project scheduling and resource loading aspects of the project.
- Completed project on schedule and within estimate to complete budget forecasts.
- Generated 33% margin on $100 million project.
Construction / Operations Manager – Brentwood Mail Distribution and Process Center; United States Postal Service; Washington DC
- Managed construction, operation, and demobilization of world’s largest chlorine dioxide generation facility and facility scrubbing systems; system was built to rid facility of anthrax exposure.
- Developed construction schedule and oversaw construction planning and execution, subcontract services, design reviews and system testing, and other project specific documents. Utilized Excel to plan the project schedule and resource loading.
- Managed 7 superintendents, numerous foreman, and 200+ craft trade personnel.
- Supported research and development aspects of design and performed field scale-up testing to validate design assumptions.
- Wrote control logic for system computers that was utilized by system programmers.
- Completed project safely and was first time in world that fumigation was performed on 14.3 million cubic foot-facility.
- Generated in excess of 30% margin on $140 million contract.
- Received letter of praise from USPS for performing world’s 1st and largest bio-hazard response in history.
Construction / Operations Manager – United States Navy; Barbers Point Project; Oahu, HI
- Partnered with engineering team to design and build small thermal desorption system for effective volatilization of PCB contaminated soil at inactive military installation in Hawaii.
- System included indirect fired rotary calciner, air pollution control system, material handling systems, and ancillary systems to include power distribution, HMI computer interface system, and wastewater treatment system.
Maintenance Adviser – Fluor Daniel, Corp; Fernald Superfund Site; Cincinnati, OH
- Developed and implemented preventative maintenance program for radioactive sludge drying facility.
- System included two indirect fired rotary dryers, air pollution control system, material handling systems, and other ancillary support systems.
Construction / Site Manager – USACE; Coleman-Evans Superfund Site; Jacksonville, FL
- Directed construction and startup of site wastewater treatment plant; oversaw subcontractor performing thermal aspect of project.
- Wastewater system consisted of chemical precipitation, clarification, filtering, and sludge handling systems.
- System was self-operating through PLC interface via localized instrumentation and electric actuated valve system.
- Thermal system consisted of indirect fired rotary kiln, air pollution control system, material handling systems, electrical systems, computer interface systems, and wastewater treatment system.
Construction Manager – Chemical Waste Management; Model City, NY
- Collaborated with engineering staff to design of 120,000 acfm air pollution control system for safe excavation and stabilization of VOC contaminated soils.
- System consisted of large ductwork field construction where ID fans forced the air through baghouses to remove the particulate and carbon filters to remove the volatile substances.
- Managed onsite construction and used local union labor forces.
- Delivered project safely, on schedule, and within budget.
(07/1989 – 03/1999)
Construction / Operations Manager – USACE; Drake Superfund Site; Lock Haven, PA
- Managed system rebuild, operation, and demobilization of largest mobile incinerator in U.S.; system was erected to destroy soil contamination and project was safely completed on time and under budget.
- Supervised 4 shift superintendents and 40 craft trades personnel.
- System consisted of 11 foot diameter by 60 foot direct fired kiln, hot cyclone, secondary combustion chamber, 120,000 acfm air pollution control system that included sub cooling quench, baghouse, ID fan, dual wet scrubbers, power distribution system, emergency power generation system, HMI computer control system, many different types of material handling systems, and wastewater treatment system.
Construction / Maintenance Manager – USACE; Baird & McGuire Superfund Site; Holbrook, MA
- Served as site superintendent; designed and constructed mobile incinerator wastewater treatment facility.
- After facility became operational, acted as Maintenance Manager for all site systems including mobile incinerator, wastewater treatment system, and site support systems.
- Incinerator included 8 foot diameter rotary direct fired dryer, 8 foot diameter by 40 foot direct fired rotary kiln, indirect fired rotary calciner, and air pollution control system to include baghouse, secondary combustion chamber, subcooling quench, ID fans, and wet scrubber system. Ancillary systems included power distribution system, computer interface system for remote operation, emergency power system, and many different types of material handling systems.
Automated Equipment Technician
- Performed installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of robotic weld lines and automated paint line for manufacture of automobile sunroofs.
- Installed and maintained electrical, mechanical, instrumentation, PLC programming, pneumatic, and hydraulic functions.
Vesta Technology LTD
Operator, Mechanic, and Instrumentation Technician – Yakima, WA
- Troubleshot and repaired electrical and instrumentation problems on conventional incinerator.
- Incinerator included direct fired rotary kiln, secondary combustion chamber, air pollution control system, many different types of material handling equipment, wastewater treatment system, computer interface system, power distribution system, and other ancillary systems.
Lead Incinerator Operator – Rose Township Project; Holly, MI
- Supervised mobilization, installation, operation, and maintenance of infrared incinerator for destruction of mixture of contaminated waste.
- Incinerator consisted of a belt furnace, secondary combustion chamber, air pollution control system, material handling systems, power distribution system, computer interface system, wastewater treatment system, and other ancillary support systems.
- Designed wastewater treatment facility for incinerator blow-down treatment.
Mechanic – Sincon Resins Project; Atlanta, GA
- Performed equipment maintenance and repairs for stabilization facility that processed many types of waste products.
- Stabilization system included silo material storage with material handling systems. The stabilization took place in pug mills where the waste was mixed with cement and augured into buckets for final disposal.
Lead Incinerator Operator – Lone Star Project; Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Supervised infrared incinerator mobilization, installation, operation, maintenance, and demobilization for herbicide and pesticide destruction.
- Incinerator included belt furnace, air pollution control system, many different types of material handling systems, wastewater treatment system, power distribution system, computer interface system, and other support systems.
- Designed wastewater treatment facility.
Incinerator Control Room Operator – Goose Bay Project; Labrador, Canada
- Designed incinerator wastewater treatment system.
- Aided mobilization, operation, maintenance, and demobilization of infrared incinerator for PCB destruction in contaminated soils.
Incinerator Operator – TCAP Project; Coon Rapids, MN
- Assisted in mobilization, operation, maintenance, and demobilization of infrared incinerator for PCB destruction in contaminated soils.
City of Columbus
(10/1986 – 07/1989)
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
- Operated all subsystems of 100-acre activated sludge treatment facility that included 4 hearth incinerators.
City of Circleville
(03/1984 – 10/1986)
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
- Operated and maintained an activated sludge treatment plant that included Zimpro system.
United States Navy (Honorable discharge)
(10/1982 – 01/1984)
Machinist Mate 3rd Class
- Nuclear Power Program – Disqualified from the program due to nerve deafness in right ear.
- Propulsion Engineering School – Graduated
- Machinist Mate “A” School – Graduated